Women in India



From a long time this subject has been one of the most featured subject in our society. And by the time, I mean a really long time, even before electricity came to existence. From my childhood to adolescence I have faced many school exams or debates that focus on this. Not only that but also other issues regarding rapes, woman abuse, social discourage and other matters got involved through the time being. Though the perspective has changed a lot over this century, the place that our girls hold has changed only a bit.

So, what are women in Indian society? Let’s look upon a very exciting subtitle. Although much of the society has changed, this thing has been a very common fact.


~ I am a woman, a girl, a mother, a sister and a daughter. Of this huge society, I am a small puppet. How the society wants, I wear that kind of dresses. How the society wants, I speak. How the society wants, I think. And how the society wants, I live. The pride of this society, is greater than my happiness. The pride of this society, is greater than my desire. The pride of this society, is greater than my life. But this society is my home. This society is my pride, world. This is where I live. This is where I grow up, and this is where I die. When…, this society is my world, my part…., why it raises questions on me? Why it stops me, hinders me, put its hands on my dignity …. Gets my life.  I am a woman, a girl, a mother, a sister and a daughter. And I am all alone in this society.

Where, we talk about women power and men and women equalization, do you think that reserved seats and train compartments only for girls, is a kind to pay respect to them? If men and women are equal here then every individual should have same facilities. Our society seems very careful to our girls. But why? Is it what you would have preferred for you? Would you have chosen Pity and please over respect? Our society looks down upon our women. They want to be same like all others, they want the same respect and feeling. And they are gifted a reserved seat.


Most of the things that we do for them, is actually showing them how weak they are. But on the other hand we talk big things about. Whatever we wear is fine, and if they wear some short-skirts, tops or shorts, they are vulgar. They have wrong personality. I get provoked, I force her, I rape her and then it’s all her fault? But this is what our society has become today. If you don’t marry to your late ages that’s fine. But what about her. If a girl talks to a boy, why he feels that the girl is in love with him, and why the society thinks her to be a rotten one? And our society talk about women freedom. Are women nothing but a wife and a mother? Still even today they are toys to men.

And even after so much great initiatives by our government and so called wise people, we see-
1.Dowry Tradition
2.Women as a Liability
3. Discrimination against Women 
Before Birth / As an Infant
As a Child
After Marriage
As a Widow
If this is what a place, where we live, I would never have wanted to born as a girl here. 

One of the most responsible ones for this truth, even though we try to hide it with noble initiatives and great words, are parents and elder. How I have lived, my daughter will live like that, my granddaughter will live like that. What will my neighbors would say if he behaves like boys, after all she is a girl. She must not stay outside home after 9’O clock. She is weak. She can be raped. And in this manner we actually hinder both us and our girls in front of all the world. A girl just need a friend to rely upon today. But can her mother, her aunt be that friend really? All she need is some support from elders. Why don’t we teach our boys to really respect girl. Why don’t we scold him for teasing a girl, not talking to a girl as just a friend? Why he has to be a brother to her, not a friend.

You are born. You are a girl. Now you have to live with the guilt of being one. You have to witness your mother being taunted - "bola tha ladka hi chahiye..ab ye ladki ka kya karein?" If they knew basic biology, they would know that the Y chromosome comes from a man (pun unintended), and hence the mother is not responsible for the gender of the child. But hey! We're Indians! Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?Attending a family wedding is usually a dreadful experience for any girl who is 20 years or above and does not want to get married just yet. People would just assume that a girl have a brother. "Oh that's your daughter! Nice. You have a son also no?" "No son?? Just one daughter? But why?" It's a very subtle indicator of how a part of our society still thinks in the 21st century. Like everything in life, the extra X chromosome comes in with a set of advantages and disadvantages in India.  Right from their childhood its like mandatory for them that they should know household work ,cooking and all and take care of younger siblings .although boys don't have to do any of those things.



Most of the issues with the girl’s right can be changed if only we change our view towards a girl. Let’s think her as a boy once. Let’s depend on her once. If only a little present can change their mentality it will have a huge impact. We don’t need any government initiative.

After all, charity begins at home.

#respectToWomen

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hard work VS Smart Work

The Profession of Begging